Laser Therapy Instructions
Healing occurs at an individual’s own rate and is affected by outside influence such as mechanical* or bacterial trauma.
For example when you cut yourself and a scab forms, it will fall off as the tissue matures and becomes stronger and more resistant. Please let your mouth/gums have enough time to heal.
Oral Hygiene Instruction Guidelines:
- manual brushing may be allowed at 7-10 days
- floss at 3-4 weeks (above gum-line only)
- electric toothbrush at 4-6 weeks (not going below gum-line)
- oral irrigators 3-6 months (above gum-line only)
- keep patients on Chlorohexidine the entire time they are not brushing (about 2-4 weeks) and switch to a non-staining antimicrobial rinse (Listerine, Crest Pro-Health)
*Mechanical trauma can include but is not limited to:
- hard, crunchy food
- incorrect oral hygiene/aggressive brushing
- brushing or flossing too early on
- exercise!!! – No exercise for one week following laser therapy. Doctors will advise when it is safe to resume exercise regimen