A bite is considered to be healthy when all or most of the teeth are present and not destroyed by normal daily usage.
It is destructive when teeth show wear, looseness or when TMJ (jaw joint) damage is seen. Bite therapy helps restore a bite that can function without damage and destruction. The therapy may include:
- Reshaping the biting surfaces of the teeth and eliminating spots of excessive pressures where the teeth are brought into contact. This is done by carefully dividing bite pressures evenly across all of the teeth.
- Bite splint therapy using a custom-fitted and adjusted plastic bite guard to keep the teeth apart, day, night, or both.
- Braces to reposition mal-aligned or drifted teeth.
- Replacement of old, worn out, or damaged fillings.
- Reconstruction of badly worn and damaged teeth.
Bite splint therapy using a custom fabricated acrylic bite splint to provide occlusal stability that will give support to the teeth, gingiva (gums), bone and TMJ.
Reshaping the biting surfaces of the teeth and eliminating spots of excessive pressures where the teeth are brought into contact. This is done by carefully dividing bite pressures evenly across all of the teeth (equilibration).
For more information about Occlusal Adjustment or to schedule an appointment with our doctors:
- Call us at Rocky Mount Periodontics and Implant Center Phone Number 252-446-0400.
- Fill out our Appointment Form.
Rocky Mount Periodontics and Implant Center
Patient Review by Jencie M
Very pleased with entire staff that I came in contact with.
- Jencie M